Take a walk through history on one of our heritage trails!
Our fabulous trail boards popped up all over Mossley in 2018 to celebrate and highlight the fantastic history right around us.
Select a trail
Each trail was researched by one of Mossley’s schools and takes you across seven places exploring our local history!
George the Goose takes you around Micklehurst to uncover weird and wonderful facts.See the trail
Shirley the Sheepdog will round you up and show you life in Mossley through the ages.See the trail
Mr Pickles the Crow flies through our town sharing adventures of men off to war and children in the mills.See the trail
Bugler Bat uncovers details of the tram crash, the story of Annaville Terrace and Mossley in World War 2.See the trail
Hannah the Horse takes you on an incredible journey of war, buns & bonfires! (And murder and robbery!)See the trail
Information for schools
Want to bring a school group? We deliver Mossley trail and heritage workshops for primary school children (key stage 2), and other local children’s groups.
What we can provide
- A Tuesday morning or afternoon or evenings (at a time to be agreed).
- An escort on the chosen trail if required (and volunteers are available).
- Two volunteers at the heritage centre to provide a 30-45 minute workshop.
- Specific topics/curriculum based topics can be requested.
- Experts on many local topics on request.
What we need to know
- The number of children.
- The lead organiser and contact details.
- Which trail(s) are you interested in.
- Have you already completed any trails?
- Any specific requests for workshops?
- The day and time desired.
About the Mossley Heritage Trails
A team of 134 project workers with ages ranging from 8–84 (powered by a shared enthusiasm for heritage) trawled the internet, read local books, studied old photos, mined the memories of relatives and explored the archives at the heritage centre to ensure that the trails bring the Mossley of the past to life.
Volunteers worked alongside Green Monster Arts and pupils from all five Mossley primary schools to plot, walk, research stories, create characters and provide a narrative for five Mossley heritage trails.
The project was grant funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.